Articles on this Page
- 08/02/13--05:26: _Everything you need...
- 09/06/13--06:13: _Ignore the headline...
- 09/06/13--06:57: _The five worst thin...
- 10/22/13--06:26: _The jobs report was...
- 11/08/13--06:43: _Job growth was pret...
- 03/07/14--05:43: _Economy adds 175,00...
- 05/02/14--05:53: _U.S. economy adds 2...
- 07/03/14--05:43: _Economy adds 288k j...
- 07/03/14--12:41: _Is this the jobs re...
- 05/08/15--07:24: _U.S. economy adds 2...
- 06/05/15--08:51: _Economy added 280,0...
- 08/07/15--06:33: _Economy adds 215,00...
- 11/06/15--02:00: _The October jobs re...
- 01/08/16--07:29: _U.S. added 292,000 ...
- 08/02/13--05:26: Everything you need to know about today’s big jobs report
- 09/06/13--06:13: Ignore the headlines. This was a very bad jobs report.
- 09/06/13--06:57: The five worst things about this crummy jobs report
- 10/22/13--06:26: The jobs report was totally blech. And it may get worse.
- 11/08/13--06:43: Job growth was pretty solid last month, despite the shutdown
- 03/07/14--05:43: Economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- 07/03/14--05:43: Economy adds 288k jobs in June; jobless rate falls to 6.1 percent
- 07/03/14--12:41: Is this the jobs recovery we’ve been looking for?
The July jobs numbers are out, and we’re here to give you quick-fire analysis of the report. Follow along as we make sense of it in in real time.
View Photo Gallery —If you’re on the job hunt, employment opportunities are no longer limited to the East or West Coast. Job aggregation Web site Bright.com recently ranked metro areas with the highest number of job openings. Here are the … Continue reading
1) Revisions. In truth, the most important parts of any jobs report are the revisions to the past two jobs reports. That's because the initial estimate of how many jobs we added or lost in any given month is typically … Continue reading
Soft. Tepid. Blech. Meh. Choose your non-inspiring adjective, possibly in Yiddish, and it nicely describes the long-awaited September jobs report. It wasn't terrible by any stretch -- the nation added 148,000 jobs, and the unemployment rate edged down a tenth … Continue reading
We’ll put the jobs day caveats first because they’re bigger than usual this time: One month’s survey doesn’t tell us a whole lot about how the economy is doing, offers only a partial picture subject to major revisions, and so … Continue reading
The U.S. economy added a solid 175,000 jobs in February, despite harsh winter weather that many analysts expected would curtail hiring, according to government data released Friday morning. The report from the Labor Department showed the job market has steadily improved since hiring plunged at the end of last year. On Friday, the government actually […]
New government data released Friday morning showed the nation added 288,000 jobs in April, a reassuring sign that the economy has picked up momentum since stalling out over the winter. The hiring spree surpassed most analysts' expectations and is the strongest showing in more than two years. Businesses added workers across a broad array of […]
America’s hiring spree kicked into full gear in June as the economy added more than 200,000 jobs for the fifth month in a row, according to government data released Thursday. The streak is the longest since the late 1990s and provides convincing evidence that the recovery has rebounded after unexpectedly shrinking during this year’s harsh winter. […]
If you like statistics involving arbitrary round numbers—and who doesn't?—here's a good one. For the first time since early 2000, the economy has added over 200,000 jobs for five months in a row. Furthermore, June's 288,000 net new jobs were enough to push unemployment down to 6.1 percent, its lowest level since September 2008. By […]
The U.S. economy added a solid 223,000 jobs in April, according to government data released Friday morning, a key sign that the labor market is regaining its footing after taking a slide earlier this year. The unemployment rate fell to 5.4 percent, a seven-year low. The latest numbers offer encouragement that the recent economic slowdown […]
The labor market continued its resurgence in May, the government reported Friday, with the U.S. economy adding 280,000 jobs. The jobs number beat analysts' expectations of 225,000 jobs. The unemployment rate went up a notch to 5.5 percent, but that increase was due to a rise in the number of people entering the workforce for the […]
The job market’s winning streak continued in July as the economy added 215,000 positions, according to government data released Friday, providing more evidence of an economy that is slowly but steadily returning to normal. The Labor Department reported that hiring was strongest in the retail and health care sectors, while the mining industry continued to […]
The most important thing about the jobs report that will be released Friday probably isn't what it says about the past, but about the future. The October jobs figures will provide a critical hint to the Federal Reserve as it weighs the momentous decision of whether to raise interest rates at its December meeting. The nation’s central […]
The U.S. economy finished the year with a red-hot hiring spree, adding 292,000 new jobs as the unemployment rate held steady at 5 percent, according to new government data released Friday morning. The latest jobs report exceeded the expectations of economists and investors and provided a reassuring note about the resiliency of the labor market, […]